You dread insects; still they will find you and bite you. Bees, ants,mosquitoes,wasps,no matter how much you avoid them or kill them with sprays, still they shall bless you with their bites and stings someday or the other. Some insects like bees, fire ants, and spider have venomous stings while others like black ants, flies do not. Mosquitoes are the types of insects that can make you ill as they are the carriers of diseases like malaria, chikangunya, and dengue. Usually the area where one is bitten or stung swells becomes reddish and can be painful or burning. In some cases one can feel difficulty in breathing, nausea, unconsciousness, irregular pulse and sometimes can die also. One must contact doctor as soon as possible if bitten or stung by some venomous insect or if some allergic reactions occur. Delay in getting medical attention can prove fatal. Here are some home remedies for treating insect bites. Remedies differ according to the kind of insects. Again consulting a medical doctor is a must if the situation seems serious. For Mosquito bites:
- Apply lime juice or calamine lotion
- Rub dry soap over the bite to reduce itching
- Mix olive oil with vinegar and apply over affected region
- Use some herbal based mosquito repellent before going outdoors. Cover your hands and legs properly during rainy season before going out, especially for kids.
- Burn some neem or eucalyptus leaves outside your house every evening to prevent mosquitoes.
- Avoid stagnation of water anywhere near you place or work place or school.
Here are some remedies which work for all bites:
- Clean the area with a neem soap or neem instilled water.
- Crush some plantain leaves and apply its juice over the affected area.
- Apply banana peel inside out
- Mix 1 teaspoon lavender oil and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Apply this on the bite but avoid the area around the eyes.
- Take 2-3 leaves if jewelweed and crush them. Apply its juice on the affected area.
- Apply coconut oil mixed with turmeric for minor bites.
- Mix meat tenderizer with water and apply on the swelling. It helps blood circulation to get back to normal.
- Mix a tablespoon Echinacea root tincture with 1 tablespoon distilled water and 1 tablespoon bentonite clay. Apply this mixture on the region that has been effected by the bite. The mixture should be thick enough to stick to the skin.
- Take bath with warm water mixed with a little Alum or potassium permanganate.
Discussing remedies for bee sting specifically:
- Squeeze the sting out with some hard thing like credit card. Avoid tweezers.
- Apply bottom of an onion. It will absorb the venom.
- Rub some iron made thing on the sting like a key or some utensil.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoon of water and apply on the swollen area.
- Applying honey calms down the burning sensation and reduces the swelling.
For spider bites: Yes, it’s true even spiders like to bite. For relief you can
- Mix cornstarch with water and apply on the bites. This helps in pulling out the poison.
- Rub the area with Listerine and apply household ammonia to prevent infection.