Cough is the sudden and forceful release of air from the lungs. It normally happens when a foreign body or particles enter the respiratory track and cause irritation. Cough is the via media through which the body attempts to throw out these foreign particles. It is seen as the body’s reaction to protect itself.
A cough can affect any person irrespective of his or her age. The cough is of two types: Dry Cough and Productive Cough. Dry cough does not bring with it mucus and other substances from the lungs, whereas a productive cough brings all these from the lungs. It is the nature and the source of infection that controls the color of the mucus.
Causes of Cough:
A cough may be caused due to many or multiple reasons. Environmental pollution is one of the main contributors towards this ailment. It could be also be the body’s reaction to an allergy to smoke, dust, mites or a food item. Habits like smoking, workplace hazards could also be the cause of cough. Infections caused by a viral, common cold, sinus and pneumonia could also make the body break into a cough.
Home Remedies For Cough That Actually Work:
1) One of the most effective remedies in dry cough is to have a paste of eight to ten almonds soaked in water with honey.
2) Having honey with homemade butter also provides relief from dry cough. This paste should be having two to three times in a day.
3) Boil water and add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. Let the water simmer till it reduces to nearly half in quantity. Have this with honey. This remedy helps provide relief from congestion.
4) Ginger is a wonder root when it comes to cough and cold. Add it your tea, boil it in water, crush it and have the juice with honey for relief.
5) Add 2 -3 black peppercorns to milk or your tea for relief from cough and cold.
If the cough persists for more than ten days it is best to consult a physician.