Indian gooseberry is a precious gift given to man by God. It is associated with health and longevity. The tree of this herb is small or sometimes middle sized deciduous tree which has a small and very closely stayed leaves and the size of the leaves are about 10-13 mm long and started appearing in the spring season. The barks of the plant are gray in color. The color of the flowers of the plant is pale green and it appears generally in small dense clusters below the leaves. The fruit of the plant is fleshy and round in shape. Also, fruit has contour indistinctly marked in 6 lobes. Also, its diameter is about 1.5-2.5 cm. The fruit is either pale green or yellowish in color. There is a seed inside the fruit of the plant, with three angles and sides. The branches of the Indian Gooseberry plants appeared to be feathery and also it smells like lemon. The plant started developing in the month spring season and also becomes ready to use means ripen in the starting of the autumn season.
Amla is known as a holy tree in India. As our motherland is worshipped, this tree is also worshipping the same. Also, it is believed that it can nurture to mankind as its fruit has nutritional values. Also, the leaves as well as fruit of the herb are used for the worship purposes in India. In Indian state Himachal Pradesh, this tree is worshipped in the month of Kartik as chaste and propitious.
Indian gooseberry is rich in nutritions. As an average, per 100 grams of edible portion of every fruit of Indian gooseberry contains about 81.8% moisture, 0.1% fat, 0.5% protein, 0.5% minerals, 13.7% carbohydrates and 3.4% fiber. Also, Vitamin and mineral contents of the fruits include iron, calcium, phosphorous, thiamine, carotene, niacin, riboflavin and vitamin C. Tree’s seeds have a fixed oil, phosphates and some essential oil. The barks of the fruit and also the leaves of the plant are rich source of tannin.
Different names of plant:
Botanical Name-Emblica officinalis from the Euphorbiaceae family.
Indian Name– Amla
Other Names– Emblic myrobalan, Amalaki
Following are the medicinal properties of this Indian herb.
- As after reading nutritional values of the Indian gooseberry, you will come to know that the herb is a rich source of Vitamin C and also effective for diabetes patients as it helps to control diabetes. You can take a tablespoon juice of the herb and mix in a cup of fresh juice of bitter gourd. After taking this decoction for two months, you will stimulate the pancreas and also feel unable to secrete insulin and as a result, you will find reduces blood sugar in diabetes. Those who are taking benefits from this decoction, should observe the intake of diet as it will reduce the complications in eyes which is the main problem resulting from diabetes.
- Take the same amount of Indian gooseberry, bitter gourd and Jambul fruit and mix them well. If you take the tablespoon of this mixture once or two times a day, then you will feel relief from diabetes.
- Amla is also good for the treatment of respiratory diseases. For treating tuberculosis of lungs, bronchitis and asthma, it plays wonderful role.
- For dealing with heart ailments Amla works as a soldier as it helps to tone the functions of different organs of the body an also maintain the health of the body by dealing with heterogeneous or harmful disease causing elements. It is also helpful for the renewal of energy.
- Amla is fully loaded with vitamin C and that is why it is a great way to fight with the problem of scurvy. Take some dry powder of the herb and mix same amount of sugar to it. Now, take 1 tablespoon of this decoction with a glass of milk 3 times a day.
- For the treatment of rheumatism, take 1 tablespoon of dry powder of the herb and now mix this with 2 tablespoons of jaggery. Have it two times a day continuously for a month to get desired results.
- Take fresh amla and extract juice from it. You can take the juice with honey to improve your eyesight. Also, it is a helpful way to treat the problem of conjunctivitis and also glaucoma. It helps you to lessen the intraocular tension in a remarkable manner. To tackle with a condition, you can have the juice of the herb with honey for two times a day.
- For hair health, it is the best and easiest way. To prepare the wonderful remedy for pigmentation and hair growth, you can take the fruit of amla. Now, cut this fruit in 2 pieces. Dry these pieces and it is preferred to dry them in the shade. Now, boil these pieces in coconut oil till the solid becomes charred. This resultant oil is excellent for the treatment of the problem of gray hair. Also, it prevents other hair becoming gray too.
- Also, you can try another thing that soaks few pieces of dried amla in water and leave it as it is overnight. After washing the hair, you can rinse the hair with that water. It is the way to nourish your hair effectively.
- For dysentery and diarrhea patients, Indian gooseberry is wonder herb. Take some water, mix amla juice, lime juice and misri (sugar camdy) in it. This drink is not tasty, but also very helpful to control acute bacillary dysentery. You can try another remedy too. For that take 1 tablespoon paste of leaves of the plant and mix it in honey or buttermilk (as per your choice). Take this for the relief from the condition.
Amla is known for its revitalizing effects because it contains elements which are effective for the prevention of aging and also provide you strength even at the older age. It makes your body able to fight against infections and improves the resistance of the body. It helps to make your heart, hair and different glands of the body strong.