Arjuna is an Ayurvedic herb which is cardio protective, cardiac stimulant, cardiac tonic, anti-ischemic and anti-hypertensive.
Habitat- Mainly, this miracle herb is seen in the Himalayan Forests, Bihar, Bengal and also in Madhya Pradesh (Indian States). Mainly, the forests found in the dry hilly areas and here they planted in a row of many plants by the sides of water bodies like streams, rivers and ravines. In many parts of India the herb is planted for the purpose of shade and ornamental purposes. When there is less moist and fertile alluvial loams and also have light deep sandy soil, it thrives goes at its best. Often, they lie over more or less impervious rocks. The soil in which herb planted, should have ample amount of water. Also, the soil should have good amount of sodium as the leaves of the plant are rich in sodium.
Following mentioned are the small description of the different parts of the plant.
- Plant– The tree is about 60-80 feet of height. The tree is comparatively large and also evergreen. Also, it has spreading crown and the branches are drooping.
- Bark– Its bark is gray in color and simple as well as smooth on external surface. It is thick and soft and the internal color of the bark is red
- Leaves- Its leaves resemble with guava leaves. These are oblong and about 4-6 inch long and the width is about 2-3 inches. Also, they are subopposite, often inequilateral and glabrous. Near the base of the petiole, there are 2 glands. Its margin is about crenulate and with the apex at obtuse or sometimes subacute angle. It has a round or cordate base. Its petioles run for 0.5-1.3 cm.
- Flowers- The flowers of the plant are of yellow or whitish in color. Mainly they occur in the summer season, but the fruits appear in spring or winter season.
- Fruits- The size of the fruits of the plant are 1-1.5 inch in diameter and also have 5 -7 longitudinal lobes. These are glabrous and also have 5-7 wings, which are woody and fibrous. Its fruit is a drupe and sometimes notched near the top.
- For Artificial Propagation– For artificial propagation of plant, you need seeds, coppicing, root-suckers, pollarding, stumps and air-layering. It can be grown slowly in the initial phase, but in a later stage it grows faster. When it is of 3 years age, it has 2-3 cm height. It can yield about 45kg of dry bark chips in the time duration of 3 years.
There are about 15 various varieties of the bark of the plant and in 1930, three researchers (Caius, Mhaskar and Isaac) said that there is great variability in the barks of Arjuna. They look very much similar. It is too similar that many a times people mistaken them for each other.
Names- The botanical name of the wonderful herb is Terminalia Arjuna and it belongs to the Combreteaceae. Some of the Sanskrit synonyms are Arjuna, Kukubha, Partha, Nadisarja and Viravrksha. It is known by different names in different languages as in English it is known as white mode, in Hindi it is known as Arjuna and Kahu and in Malayalam it is said “Neermaruthu”.
Arjuna Herb Benefits
Uses of the Arjuna– As the herb is very much beneficial and thus used for many purposes. Some of the traditional uses of the herb are mentioned below:
- Terminalia Arjuna has the astringent, dry and light properties. Also, it is used to pacifies the Pitta as it has cooling properties.
- As the plant has astringent properties, so you can use its decoction and powder for application over wounds. It gives way to healing, healing of the wounds.
- Another thing is that the astringent property of the plant makes it more useful for the purpose of diarrhea with blood and also bleeding piles. Also, the bilious affections can be relieved with the help of this herb. It proves a great tonic for the treatment of cirrhosis of the liver.
- Arjuna is a greatest cardio-tonic and that is the reason, it is used to provide nutrition to the heart muscles and also it plays a valuable role in providing strength to them. It plays a magnificent role in normalizing the disturbed rhythms of heart and it is very much effective in reducing the heart rate. This is very much effective in edema also. It can reduce the clotting tendency of blood.
- This is also very much helpful in reducing the stress an also nervousness of heart. It plays an effective role in reversing the hardening of blood vessels.
- If you are having cough with then you can get relief from the Vasa leaves and that is the reason, it is used as adjuvant in tubercular cough. To prepare decoction for hemoptysis, you need sugar, rice water and same amount of red sandalwood. It is also helpful in stopping the blood along with healing the ulcer.
- For those who are suffering from urinary tract infections, Arjuna is like a wonder as it is helpful in making burning micturition lessen. Also, its diuretic actions make it helpful for relief from stones in the renal or urinary bladder.
- Those who have a problem of Spermatorrhea can get relief by the decoction made up of the barks of Arjuna and white sandal and it is told according to Sushruta. Harita also said that its decoction is wonderful in Gonorrthea. It gives relief from Lecorrhea and ministerial building in excess.
- Those who have a problem of acne can apply the Vagbhata with honey over acne.
- Patients suffering from Chronic fevers specially tuberculosis can use Arjuna to get rid of the problem. Those who are using this herb from long time have a very less risk of obesity. It also provides relief from chronic poising and general debility.
- To unite the fractures it is given with milk as it helps to joint the broken bones together.
- Patients of Blood pressure and heart problem are advised to have this herb as it is very much effective.
- Coagulation, bleeding and prothrombin time can also lessen with the help of oral administration of aqueous suspension of its bark powder.